Thuja occidentalis ‘Sunny Smaragd’ PBR connects beautiful, sunny color and all positive characteristics of green ‘Smaragd’
‘Sunny Smaragd’ is just different than other yellow thuyas – there are 8 special characteristics:
- It can grow in full sun, and yet it doesn’t suffer from sunburn so typical for other colored thuyas.
- Planted even in partial shade will dye to a beautiful yellow, sunny, warm color. Young growths have a slightly orange color.
- In winter, it retains its unique, warm color, much better than other similar varieties.
- It doesn’t produce seeds, which brown shucks can spoil the plant and litter the surrounding.
- It is dense, shapely and elegant.
- Planted in a decorative pot on the terrace, it is a real decoration – it doesn’t get brown, like many others.
- It grows faster than eg ‘Golden Smaragd’, so it can be successfully planted as a hedge.
- After 10 years, it reaches only 2-2.5 m high, and thanks to that there is no fear that it will dominate the surroundings and get out of control.
Michael Perry – Mr Plant Geek about Thuja occ. Sunny Smaragd – click and watch: